The Partiologist: Santa Cake!

Santa Cake!

I have been trying to come up with the most fabulous idea that will knock you out of your chair!  My idea may not leave you on the floor, but you may get cold feet!  As in, it might just knock your socks off!  I won't keep you waiting in suspense any longer...

My Mini Santa Cake!

I hope you like it and I will show you step by step how to make it!  There is NO faking it this time!

I wanted to have a cylinder cake without cutting the cake out of a sheet cake and layering - more chance for uneven sides. 

So I came up with this idea, using tomato sauce cans. 


I bought several cans and emptied them out (It's up to you what you make out of the tomato sauce) and cut off the bottom too.   

And then I ran them through the dishwasher.


Yes, I know there are little cake rings available to purchase, but kind of pricey. 

With all the money I saved by making these little cake rings, you should see the new party shoes I bought! 

(I was able to buy the dress with all the money I save by drinking water when we go out to lunch!) 

I decided to start out with three cans, just in case this didn't work and I would end up with a mess, it would be a small mess. 

Line a bread pan with parchment paper and spray the inside of the cans with baker's secret.


Then fill the pans with your favorite cake recipe.


A little more than half full.

Bake and remove from oven.


Looky there, IT WORKED! 

So far so good.

Now to pull the ring off the cake...


At this point I was saying YIPEE SKIPEE!

Next, take them out of the pan and sit them on some kind of base.  I used these little cake circles.


Set your little cakes on the boards and measure.


Measure the height and then use string to measure the width.


Now you know the size to cut the fondant.

I love Duff - it tastes great!

Roll it out and cut to size.


I like to use my pizza cutter.


Now roll out the black fondant.


Cut a long strip and lay on top of the red fondant.


Trim the ends to fit.


Next it's time to make the Buckle.
Roll out some white fondant - I used Wilton because Duff's white fondant is not pure white.


Cut a large square and then a smaller one in the center.


Paint a little water on the fondant buckle.

Then sprinkle with edible glitter.


Shake it off a bit and add to the fondant belt, just a little brush with water acts like glue.


Brush the excess glitter off with a dry brush.

Then working fast, frost the cylinder cake with your favorite frosting.


Don't worry if it's a mess like this, it will be covered.
Then wrap the fondant around the cake and brush the back edges with a little water to seal.


Use white coarse sanding sugar.


And sprinkle on the top.


And there you have it - A Mini Santa Cake!


Santa's Little Vixen

10 comments :

  1. Omg, this is awesome, I would have never in million years thought of using cans to make the cake! So clever.
    Your mini santa cakes are precious, and congrats on the feature!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Now I know what Fondant is. Did you use Fondant on your cookies in your Push-ups that you made?

    Thanks for sharing.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, most of those cookies were made with frosting and then fondant on top. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow..you have out done yourself...how cute is this!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!! AS ALWAYS! LOVE THE WAY YOU COME UP WITH INEXPENSIVE WAYS TO IMPROVISE! I.E. THE TOMATO SAUCE CANS! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE SANTA CAKE! CHEERON! AND, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WOW WOW WOW!!!!
    from, twobeautifulgirls

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so stinkin cute. YOu amaze me, you know that?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun and VERY cute Kim! It reminds me of when my Mom and I use to make coffee can bread. and thanks for the tip on Duff fondant, I'll have to try his brand.
    I remember my Mom use to buy things and tell my Dad she bought it with the money she saved using coupons. He use to tell her, "If you don't quit saving me money we're gonna go broke!" haaaa.... I now do the same thing with my husband.... "but honey, I bought it with the money I got from turning in the aluminum cans".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for leaving me a sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brrrrrrrrrrr! My feet are freezing. Thanks for the great tutorial... making what looks like a complex sweet treat possible for me to make.

    ReplyDelete

Get Fun Food and Party Ideas

Subscribe to receive my latest posts in your inbox!